We will strenghten the university's reputation in research and creative discovery by building upon existing areas of excellence and identifying new strategic opportunities.
To accomplish our goal, we will utilize a data-driven approach to identify and prioritize existing areas of distinction and emerging areas of excellence, and then develop plans to support strategic growth in these areas.
Additionally, we will establish collaborative groups of thought leaders and innovators to promote interdisciplinary collaboration. We will also utilize our campus resources and external connections to foster entrepreneurship, create economic and social impact, and support distinction in research and innovation.
Through this work, we aim to position our university at the forefront of research and creative discovery, which will in turn enhance the success of our talented collection of scholars, researchers, and artists.
"What are our strengths? What connections are already in place? What trends are we seeing nationally? These are the questions we're looking to answer by working with stakeholders all across campus."
Measuring Our Progress
The university has set specific targets or high-level indicators to monitor our institutional progress. We will regularly measure and assess improvements in these areas.
AAU Membership Indicators
SHOW IMPROVEMENT IN KEY AREAS:
- Competitively funded federal research support
- Faculty awards, fellowships, and memberships
- Research/scholarship PhDs granted annually
Funding for Faculty Recognition
INCREASE PHILANTHROPIC SUPPORT:
- Funding is used for faculty prizes/awards, fellowships, professorships, chairs, and deanships
- Currently, funding hovers at around $18.3 million
- The 2027 target for funding is $21.6 million
Annual Increase in Research Expenditures
2027 TARGET = 5%
- Annual increase in research expenditures as of 2022 is 3%
- Target is based on NSF HERD data and will be re-calculated annually based on rolling 3-year average of UI Peer Group