Download the Strategic Plan for 2022-2027 (PDF)
Provide a comprehensive foundation of support for individuals throughout all stages of their relationship with the university, beginning by attracting and retaining talented students, faculty, and staff who will contribute to a thriving university community.
Its people are the University of Iowa’s most important resource. Success in every aspect of the university’s mission is founded on attracting and retaining talented and engaged individuals who will contribute to a vibrant environment for learning, innovation, and discovery. As the university pursues its vision to be the destination of first choice for those seeking a place to grow, learn, contribute, and thrive, the university is committed to nurturing a culture of care and respect within which all feel supported as they work toward their personal and collective goals. The university will chart clear pathways for advancement, celebrate excellence and achievement, and ensure access to holistic well-being and mental health supports. The UI will build on the great advances it has made in existing programs and services to become widely recognized as a campus that cares for every member of its community.
Objectives and Strategies
- Embed well-being and mental health into all aspects of campus culture to better support students, faculty, and staff.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of and recommend improvements to existing well-being programs, and identify service gaps based on population data.
- Identify well-being and mental health needs of diverse groups and evaluate effectiveness of existing programs in meeting those needs.
- Create a cohesive framework of existing holistic well-being services and resources for students, faculty, and staff to ensure a more inclusive and equitable well-being and mental health infrastructure.
- Increase access to and awareness of mental health and well-being resources.
- Expand curricular and co-curricular learning for all students that provides foundational well-being knowledge and skills.
- Centralize reporting of sexual assault, misconduct, bias, discrimination, and harassment to include multiple checks and balances to the reporting and investigative processes.
- Promote institutional excellence and success by attracting and recruiting a talented body of students, faculty, and staff to create an inclusive and engaged community rich in diversity of experiences, perspectives, and expertise.
- Recruit talented undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
- Recruit exceptional faculty, with a focus on areas of strategic importance.
- Recruit talented staff, with attention to areas of critical need to the institution.
- Retain talented faculty and staff through professional development, recognition, and a culture of connection and employee value.
- Identify and address gaps in faculty and staff satisfaction within the career lifecycle.
- Ensure access to training and professional development and clarify pathways to career advancement.
- Identify internal and external opportunities for cultivating emerging leaders and provide training and mentoring to expand leadership skills.
- Identify opportunities to enhance supervisor development.
- Review reward and incentive structures and make recommendations to increase recognition of excellence in key areas that support strategic priorities.
- Assess the potential impact of innovative workplace strategies, such as flexible work practices on staff recruitment and retention.
- Explore improvements in infrastructure—including people, processes, policies, and technology—to support faculty, staff, and campus leadership in using institutional data to plan, implement, and assess efforts to advance individual and institutional success.
- Cultivate a campus culture of data-informed assessment and continuous improvement.
- Identify the needs of information users that are not being addressed by existing information resources and infrastructure, including potential enhancements to data collection and reporting tools.
- Examine the feasibility of creating a central hub for institutional data and assessment coordination to support data literacy and data-driven decision making.